Sunday, October 5, 2008

Halloween Trap (a story by me)

“Ahhhh” I screamed with my heart pounding. “He’s at it again.” I was scared. I saw the old cemetery in their lawn and I knew it was going to happen again tonight, just as it did every year.
I always liked the candy, the pumpkins, and costumes on Halloween, just not the neighbor. The neighbor, a wicked old man, loves Halloween more than I do. When October came around he went crazy! He thought trick or treating was just a trap for kids and, sadly, at his house it was. No kid in there right mind would ever knock on his door on Halloween, even if the sun was still shining. If you have to knock, its smart to wait for some other day of the year, just not tonight. Tonight is ‘Death Night’. Any kid who ever stepped foot in that house never came back out, no matter what day it was.
After dinner, and once my homework was done, I started to put on my costume. My mask, boa, dress and makeup were sitting on the pale white bathroom counter. The make up was hard to get on while shaking in fear of seeing my neighbor.
I couldn’t wait to go door to door, skipping the house across the street of course, and was eager to get my candy. I grabbed my flash-light and pillowcase to store my precious candy then hesitated, but headed out the door.
Luckily my best friend Ryan was already out in front of my house. I forgot about the nightmare we were getting ourselves into. He smiled and I laughed. My mom wished us good luck and to be safe. After saying we would, I told Ryan, “Come on we’ve got candy to get”.
We hit-up several houses and were headed down the street. We stopped open mouthed and wide eyed. There the neighbor stood. He stepped closer. He was ten feet away, nine feet away, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two…..one! “Trick or treat” I asked timidly.
“Honey wake up.” My mom shook me. She spoke sweetly, “It’s Halloween”.
“It was just a dream” I exclaimed to myself. I looked out the window smiling. Suddenly my smile faded. In the lawn of the house across the street sat an old cemetery.

No comments: